Pattern of Question Papers : Total 65 Questions (ALL Objective Type) Total Marks : 100 Each question has ONLY one correct answer. Answer sheet: OMR (ONLY Black Ink Ball Point Pen is allowed to darken the appropriate bubble)
GATE 2013-14 would contain questions of four different types in engineering papers:
Multiple choice questions carrying 1 or 2 marks each.
Common data questions, where two successive questions use the same set of input data.
Linked answer questions, where the answer to the first question of the pair is required in order to answer its successor.
Numerical answer questions, where the answer is a number, to be entered by the candidate using the mouse and a virtual keypad that will be provided on the screen.
Note : Sectional cut-off ( Technical / Non-Technical like Engineering mathematics & General Aptitude ) are not applied in GATE exam.
In all the papers, there will be a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which 10 questions carrying 15 marks in General Aptitude (GA) are compulsory.
NOTE: General Aptitude (GA-15 Marks) is common for all the engineering branch ( Civil-CE, Computer Science-CS, Information technology, CE, Mech, EEE, ECE…)
Engineering Mathematics will carry 15 % of the total marks, the General Aptitude section will carry 15 % of the total marks and the remaining 70 % of the total marks is technical in nature.
Engineering Mathematics Syllabus for Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering & Instrumentation Engineering is same and same question would be asked in the examination of gate 2013.
Engineering Mathematics Syllabus for Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering & Mechanical Engineering is same and same question would be asked in the examination of gate 2013.
Engineering Mathematics Syllabus for computer science & IT Engineering: Few Topics are common with Electrical, Electronics, mechanical engineering.
Marking scheme: Negative marking of 1/3rd for One marks question and Negative marking of 2/3rd for Two marks question.
Unattempted question: No Marks
Linked answer question pair: Each question carries 2 marks, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer to the first question only. There is no negative marking for wrong answer to the second question of the linked answer question pair.
If the first question in the linked pair is wrongly answered or is unattempted, then the answer to the second question in the pair will not be evaluated. There is no negative marking for numerical answer type questions.
Common DATA : Multiple choice type : Equal marks to all related questions.
General Aptitude (GA) Section: Same Question will be asked for Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering & Instrumentation engineering in the examination of gate 2013.
Same Question will be asked for Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering & Mechanical Engineering in the examination of gate 2013.
In all papers, GA questions are of multiple choice types, and carry a total of 15 marks. The GA section includes 5 questions carrying 1 mark each (sub-total 5 marks) and 5 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 10 marks)
- Question 1 to 25 : One mark each ( Negative marking 1/3rd )
- Question 26 to 55 : Two mark each ( Negative marking 2/3rd )
- Question 56 to 65 : General Aptitude ( total 15 marks ) : ( Negative marking 1/3rd for One marks & 2/3rd for Two mark )
- Question 56 to 60 : One mark each Question 61 to 65 : Two mark each
NOTE : Calculator is allowed whereas charts, graph sheet or Tables are NOT allowed in the examination hall.
- Gate Exam contains two portions which are General Aptitude and Core subject ie Elective Papers
- First Part General Aptitude will be the same for all canditates irrespective of their electives/Disciplines.
- Second Part will change according to their elective paper which is chosen by them in their Graduate degree.
GENERAL APTITUDE (GA) – GATE EXAM SYLLABUS
Verbal Ability: English grammar, sentence completion, verbal analogies, word groups, instructions, critical reasoning and verbal deduction
NUMERICAL ABILITY :
Numeical Computation, Numerical Estimation, Numerical Reasoning and Data Interpretation.
Click the below Links to download the GATE Syllabus based on Electives
- Electrical and communication Engineering- Gate Exam Syllabus
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Gate Exam
- Instrumentation Engineering – Gate Exam Syllabus
- Mechanical Engineering – Gate Exam Syllabus
- Computer Science & Information Technology – Gate Exam
- Civil Engineering – Gate Exam Syllabus
- Chemical Engineering-Gate Exam Syllabus